Wednesday, July 29, 2009

There is Life After The Helmet!


Maycie had her 6 week appointment with the plastic surgeon today! It was a good appointment! She no longer need to wear it. It isn't perfect (but who has a perfect head?!) but he feels any more changing that needs to take place will happen naturally!

I came home and was met by my other kids and when they saw her without the helmet they first asked to make sure and then let out quite the yell! It was so cute! My oldest son is just getting ready to play football so we joked that we were trading Maycie's busy helmet season for Jaxon's busy helmet season! So we put the helmet back on and took our last pictures in the helmet! I also took some after pictures for myself. I thought it might be kind of fun to see some before and after shots. Another reminder that what we have done and been through is totally worth it! I can't imagine where we would be if we had decided not to do this.

This is Maycie at our first appointment at Fit Well.

She was about 5 months old.

This is Maycie now! After 5 months and 2 helmets what a difference!
The first helmet put too much pressure on the back of her head. (I think her head shape changed between when they did the mold and when we got the helmet so then it put too much pressure and caused an infection. But that is just my thinking!) This is a picture at it's worst! This is why we needed a 2nd helmet. They allowed room for the bump on the back of her head and then put the padding in so the pressure still had some give to it!



This is the back of her head now! I should have taken it from the side! But you can't even tell anymore! The plastic surgeon was telling the intern (I think it was an intern!) with him today about the bump on the back of her head because they wondered why we were so excited over the back of her head!

Everything looks so much better it is almost hard for me to believe! It has been a long road. I will not deny that. This has been the last 6 months of my life and almost 2/3 of hers! We are still doing physical therapy. I am hoping we will see a drastic improvement there now that the helmet is off. I will go and do until we are done. I don't want to give up and then have her regress. Besides that therapy hasn't been bad! They are more like a friend then anything else!

Thank you to everyone for visiting and your comments! I think I am going to add a new gadget so we can "converse" a little easier! If anyone else has wisdom ideas for decorating the helmets anything else they would like to share I would be glad to do a post with your insights. Please e-mail them to me at the address on the right! Also is there anything specific that I should be blogging about? Keep the comments coming! I need your help to know if this blog is helping! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment