Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6 More Weeks

We went to the Plastic Surgeon's last week and he said we should be all done in 6 weeks! Now don't get me wrong, I am so excited! But at the same time I have to admit I am ready to be done with all of this. I am ready to kiss her head when ever I want without kissing a helmet. I am ready to snuggle her without being afraid of getting clunked in the head! Again, I am not regretting our decision to do the helmet. I know this is for the best, and I know 6 weeks really isn't all that long. I just have my moments! I try and keep things very positive on our family blog. And I know I should probably do the same for all of you, but I want you to know we ALL have our moments! That is why I am doing this. It is important for me to know that other people are going through the same thing that I am. I guess I can only assume that you all feel the same. Part of what I want this blog to be is a place for us to share with each other. I found this quote that I hope says it all:
Author Anna Quindlen says, "The great motherhood friendships are the ones in which two women can admit [how difficult mothering is] quietly to each other, over cups of [herbal] tea at a table sticky with spilled apple juice and littered with markers without tops" (Loud and Clear, 30).
What we are doing for our babies is difficult. But by being there for each other I am hoping we can lift the load a little. So we have 6 more weeks (actually 5, it has been a week since we went to the Plastic Surgeons, not that I am counting down or anything!) but this is something that has changed me for the rest of my life. There will be life after the helmet, and this too shall pass!

1 comment:

  1. My son wore a helmet as well. He is now four years old. He now gets his head shaved in the summer, and when he want to "look like Dad." If it wasn't for going through all that he would not be able to do that.
    It may seem like a long time still to go through, but it will not seem so long when you look back in a few years. We still have my sons helmet and he likes to look at it. It makes him feel special, different in a good way. It reminds me of how small he was. When my son sees others with helmets he points them out to me, he thinks it is so cool. I have to tell the parents why he is pointing.
    From what I have read you are too hard on yourself, give yourself permission to relax. She will not be sad that you did not kiss her on the head enough when she was little, she will be happy that she will not be self-conscience when someone kisses her on the head for the rest of her life!
    Looking back the time was so short. Take lots of pictures, she will want to see them when she gets older. :)

    ReplyDelete