Monday, June 15, 2009

Our Story

My name is Brook Collins. I am a stay at home mom of 5 kids. My youngest child, Maycie, is 8 months old and is currently going through P.A.P. Orthosis Cranial Remolding Therapy. From the time she was born she would tip her head to the same side and then turn her head to look up. It looked like the most uncomfortable position in the world to me, but she wouldn't move didn't like anyone else trying to move her! We tried some things at home, like putting the mobile on the other side of her crib to encourage her to turn her head.
At her 4 month appointment out Pediatrician noticed that her face was taking on an A symmetrical shape. She was diagnosed with tortocalis and we started Physical Therapy. Our Physical Therapist sent us to see a Plastic Surgeon who started us on the road to our helmet. There was nothing along the way that was not new to me. I had four other children and had never experienced anything like this before. Every new appointment was a new experience. I had no idea you could do Physical Therapy with a baby for an hour. But you know what - they can! I had no idea that getting a helmet would be such a long road. We went into Fit Well and they took pictures for the insurance company. I don't know if every insurance company requires this but we had to write a letter telling them what we had done on our own to help our daughter. There is nothing like explaining yourself as a parent to people who don't even know you! In the end we had to call the insurance company. For us it didn't take more then a phone call but I know some times it does. Talk to your doctors and/or physical therapist. I know they would be more then happy to write the letters to help you!
Next we went into Fit Well to have the mold of her head done. Two weeks later we were able to pick it up. They were very helpful and more then willing to answer any questions we had. One of Maycie's problems was a very pronounced bump on the back of her head which really became prominent during this time. This caused the helmet to put too much pressure on the back of her head. They tried to adjust it for us but in the end the pressure had caused her head to get infected and abscess. At one point it was as big as a golf ball. In the end they decided to just make her a new helmet.
We are now about 6 weeks into our second helmet. It is going very well! There was a visible difference in the back of her head after just one week!
I have run into a number of people over the last 6 weeks who know someone who has had a helmet, but I have only talked to 2 families who have actually done the helmet. Talking to these 2 families helped me so much! Both of them told me it was so worth everything they went through and did. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to be able to talk to others who had been through what we were going through and to be able to share what we had learned with others who were just starting.
As I started asking at Fit Well, Physical Therapy and doing some research on my own I found nothing that would help me with what I wanted. That is why I started this blog. I am hoping it is able to find those who are looking for the same kind of support I am! I hope we are able to share our stories good and bad. I hope, for those who are just getting started on the road or thinking about it, it helps you know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, I talked to my friend who I told you has a web page. She said it could get costly and it is hard to maintain. She said your best bet is to do the blog and to go start a chat on yahoo or msn.
    Good luck on this.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete