Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Insurance Company

For our insurance company there were a few requirements that we had to meet. When I called Fit Well to make our appointment they were very helpful and told me everything that I would need to provide. However they are required to tell you that this first appointment is to take pictures and measurements to send to the insurance company to see if they will cover the helmet. They told me that it usually takes about 10 days. We called our insurance company right after we went to Fit Well to make sure there was nothing we could do to help the process and to check our coverage. They told us that there was nothing for us to do at that time but they also didn't want to talk about our coverage then either. We really had to press and use the word "if" alot! "If this gets approved" that kind of thing. This is something I would recommend doing because the average coverage is an 80/20 split but it isn't always. You will want to know what you have ahead of you financially.
Our insurance also required a letter from us as her parents. They wanted a 3 month history of what we had been doing to correct the problem. Considering she wasn't much older then 4 months that sent me for a loop! But again Fit Well, our Physical Therapist, Pediatrician, Plastic Surgeon (our team!) were all very helpful. They told me that anything we had been doing should be put into the letter. Things like putting the mobile on the other side of her crib to encourage her to turn her head. We bought her a special tummy time mat that encouraged the lifting of her head even more then normal tummy time. I also wrote it in a very positive tone with the assumption they were going to approve the helmet. If you would like to read our letter I would be happy to e-mail you a copy.
In the end we had to call the insurance company again. Fit Well called the insurance company after 2 weeks and were basically told we will get to it when we get to it. They told me it might help if we called. I called and got told basically the same thing. My husband then called, he is really good at getting results! He asked to speak with the nurse in charge of the approval. My advice is to do this. We had approval by the next day. They care more if they know you care!
I had told our Physical Therapist things were taking longer then we had hoped. She offered to write a letter if we needed and mentioned getting one from our Plastic Surgeon as well. We ended up not needing these but I am sure who ever you are working with would be glad to do the same for you if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment